August 1, 2015
Dear Community Members, Parents and Students:
As Principal of Ts4 Y7 Gai High School, it has been my sincere pleasure and honor to serve as a member of this great community. Ts4 Gai enjoys a rich history of cultural excellence that is the result of a collegial partnership between the school staff, parents, and community members who provide a diversity of experiences for our students. I am truly humbled to serve as Principal. I will continue to work with the Ts4 Gai staff to provide the best possible educational program for our students.
Before coming to Gallup-McKinley County Schools, I served in Oklahoma City Public Schools for twenty-two years. I held the positions of teacher, principal, and central office administrator.
I am very excited to be a part of the Ts4 Gai family and to closely work with everyone to make our school even better. My greatest initiative is to provide instructional leadership that will result in each student graduating on time prepared for success in post-secondary education and a career. The educational program must be academically challenging, engage each student by linking the curriculum to Navajo language and culture and providing extracurricular and co-curricular activities that engage students. I am personally committed to learning and supporting Navajo language and culture. Community members, parents, teachers, support staff, and administrators have an important roles in supporting our children. It is my sincere desire to provide expanded opportunities for our students to acquire the skills to become productive citizens in a vastly changing society. Through a close partnership with everyone associated with Tse’ Yi’ Gai High School, I am confident we can make our school an even a better place for our students to learn and grow.
TYG highlights for 2014-15 school year
- 24 seniors received their high school diploma meeting all course and assessment requirements
- Chromebooks were deployed 1:1 for all students
- 8th grade was added
- Students competed in Cross County, Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Track
- Students participated in state playoffs in Cross Country, Girls Basketball, Track
- 168 AP Exams in seven courses – English Language & Composition, World History, U.S. History, Government, Biology, Physics, Statistics
- After-school tutoring Tuesday and Thursday with activity buses to Ojo Encino and Torreon
TYG changes for 2015-16 school year:
- Selected as Apple ConnectEd school – 1 of 114 in nation, 1 of 6 in New Mexico (only a high school in NM) – students will receive iPads and approximately 1 Million in technology and services over the three years of the program
- Filmmakers Without Borders program – digital film making program staffed by fellow from New York City-based nonprofit – first program in a US school
- Addition of baseball and softball
I welcome the opportunity to visit with you regarding concerns or suggestions you may have on how we can better serve our students. You may reach me at the school numbers listed above. My home address is 5A Warrior Drive at Ts4 Yi’ Gai High School. You are welcome to stop by Tse’ Yi’ Gai High School or my home anytime.
Dr. Brian Staples
Principal, Tsé Yí Gai High School